New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
dobrichelovek

Beta linked to from live site?

Post by dobrichelovek »

So, as I understand it, the beta of the new meetinghouse/meeting website is still in beta, right? Has anyone noticed, or are you aware that although the link from lds.org still points to the previous version, the link from mormon.org that is titled "Worship With Us" points to this new beta website? I don't have a problem with it, but I wanted to make sure that this was an intended result and not just an accident. I am guessing it's probably the latter.

I have shared the new beta site with some friends in Russia, so I anticipate that some corrections will be coming through for the building locations there, since I couldn't find one that was fully accurate.

I am curious. Has a request gone out to the Missions to verify international meetinghouse locations? I know that one of the Missions in Chile has been doing some map work and was fully aware of the beta. That would probably get a lot of the meetinghouses accurate quickly if they are all attuned to such a need.:rolleyes:
borenmt

No accident...

Post by borenmt »

It's not an accident that Mormon.org points to the beta and lds.org points to the older system. There are still a few approvals pending for the links from lds.org, which has entry points not only under "Meetinghouse Locator" but also from stake and ward websites. Also, it has made sense to keep the old system running in production on lds.org while the beta was going on from mormon.org, as a backup measure in case something went awry.

Regarding asking missions to help verify meetinghouse locations, there has not been an explicit request, but we have gotten a good deal of feedback from members and missionaries worldwide, and are acting on the feedback.

Regarding Netscape, I'll just quote from the official Netscape blog by AOL at http://blog.netscape.com/ :
"As announced previously, as of March 1st, all official support for Netscape browsers has ceased, including all security updates. Early next week, users of Netscape Browser 8 will be presented with an update that will allow them to migrate directly to the current version of Flock. Since Netscape Browser 8 no longer receives security updates, the Netscape team at AOL strongly recommends that those still using Netscape upgrade to a safe browser alternative. Flock is just such an alternative, based on a strong Firefox core with many additional features that allow you to manage your webmail and social networks. Plus, the core team that originally built Netscape Browser 8 is largely still intact, and is the same team that builds Flock."

Regarding standards, they actually do matter, and standards-compliant browsers tend to be far less buggy than non-compliant browsers. That's why IE7, Safari, and Firefox all render pages so much more consistently than IE6 and earlier IE incarnations. I honestly can't speak to how standard compliant Netscape is; it's been a while since it has been on the radar. But no browser (unfortunately) is 100% standards compliant yet, which results in some inconsistencies between browsers or even incompatibility. Please do submit these issues via the feedback mechanisms on Church sites, and we'll see if something can be done.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

How often is meetinghouse location punted?

Post by rmrichesjr »

In the new http://maps.lds.org (now featured with a paragraph and link at http://lds.org), the location of meetinghouse in Newberg, Oregon, USA appears to have been punted. The location shown is near the center of the old part of the city, about a full mile away from the correct location. The old meetinghouse locator had the location wrong by maybe a hundred yards or so, but the new one is off by much more. I submitted feedback about the new location.

Are there a significant number of other meetinghouses where the location isn't even close, where the site appears to show the default location for the approximate center of the city?
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

The problem in the post before this isn't the only problem. Here in our stake we have six wards with four meetinghouses and one rented house that serve as meetinghouse for a ward. The New Meetinghouse Locator show only tree meetinghouses, with incorrect address, telephones and other informations. The meetinghouses address are so distant from their true location on the online maps, in the Google map and in the Microsoft ma too.
A good sugestion is to merge the latitude and longitude informations of meetinghouses with the "Church Property Number" that we can see at CDOL, to help best the results and the correct of the meetinghouses address.
borenmt

Post by borenmt »

@MorettiDP -- make sure to submit this feedback on the website via the Feedback link. Since there are multiple kinds of problems (wrong location, missing location, some meeting time issues), you might get the best response if you submitted a separate issue for each problem. That way different teams can be working on each issue simultaneously and don't have to remember to forward it on to someone else when they do their bit. If you submit everything as one issue, some fixes might be delayed, or could fall through the cracks. Thanks for the feedback!

@rmrichesjr -- I'm not sure we have defaulted to the center of town, but if you have submitted feedback, that's the best way to get it resolved. Thank you!
cottrells

My experience

Post by cottrells »

When the beta of maps.lds.org was first released in June all the pins for the meetinghouses in the stake where I live, were sited near the centre of town and not on the meetinghouses themselves. So I clicked on the actual locations of the buildings and submitted feedback and eventually they have all been corrected. A simple an effective process. I'm more than pleased with this improved locator tool and look forward to the future developments that have been hinted at.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

borenmt wrote:@MorettiDP -- make sure to submit this feedback on the website via the Feedback link. Since there are multiple kinds of problems (wrong location, missing location, some meeting time issues), you might get the best response if you submitted a separate issue for each problem. That way different teams can be working on each issue simultaneously and don't have to remember to forward it on to someone else when they do their bit. If you submit everything as one issue, some fixes might be delayed, or could fall through the cracks. Thanks for the feedback!

I sent ward to ward problems to feedback when the site are on beta level. Need I send again these problems???

Thanks borenmt!!! (sorry for my bad English)
borenmt

Post by borenmt »

@MorettiDP -- Your English is much better than my Portuguese! If it has been over a month since you submitted your feedback and the locations are still wrong, it is possible that some other issue interfered with the team's ability to implement the changes during beta. I would submit them again if they are still wrong. Thanks for your patience while we irons these things out!

If your changes deal with ward meeting times or other unit information besides location, those changes must be made by a local bishop or clerk in MLS, which is where we are drawing the information from.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've heard there is a problem locating wards that meet in a Institute of Religion. Anyone know if that's been fixed yet? If it has, then I need to re-submit a prior fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

borenmt wrote:@MorettiDP -- Your English is much better than my Portuguese! If it has been over a month since you submitted your feedback and the locations are still wrong, it is possible that some other issue interfered with the team's ability to implement the changes during beta. I would submit them again if they are still wrong. Thanks for your patience while we irons these things out!

If your changes deal with ward meeting times or other unit information besides location, those changes must be made by a local bishop or clerk in MLS, which is where we are drawing the information from.

OK, I go try again!!!
Thanks!

Return to “Main Church Website”