Returned Email From Webpage for Deceased Member!

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
ShirtsDre

Email Returned: Deceased or Excommunicated Member

Post by ShirtsDre »

There currently is not an automated process that removes the LUWS website registration when a member is deceased or excommunicated. This will normally only occur when an attempt to login to said registration is made. The current process is for unit admins to disable registrations for returned emails that match a currently displayed member in the "Registered Users" admin page.

For members that are deceased or excommunicated, they will no longer show on the site but their registrations will remain. For these non-displayed registrations, the unit admin needs to report this to the MSR help desk. The site developer(s) will then manually remove the individual registration record.

For now, this is the current process.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:There currently is not an automated process that removes the LUWS website registration when a member is deceased or excommunicated. This will normally only occur when an attempt to login to said registration is made. The current process is for unit admins to disable registrations for returned emails that match a currently displayed member in the "Registered Users" admin page.

For members that are deceased or excommunicated, they will no longer show on the site but their registrations will remain. For these non-displayed registrations, the unit admin needs to report this to the MSR help desk. The site developer(s) will then manually remove the individual registration record.

For now, this is the current process.
Ok, so, when we have a deceased or excommunicated member that has been registered on the webpage, we need to send an email to MSR?

My own father passed away 4 years ago and I didn't have that problem with his email being bounced back to me. We have had other members pass away and I can't remember off hand if they were registered on the webpage or not, but their emails didn't come back, just this one particular brother.

I did send an email to MSR as suggested in an earlier post and have not heard anything back from them yet.

Margie
ShirtsDre

Variable bouncing

Post by ShirtsDre »

margiestroble wrote:Ok, so, when we have a deceased or excommunicated member that has been registered on the webpage, we need to send an email to MSR?

My own father passed away 4 years ago and I didn't have that problem with his email being bounced back to me. We have had other members pass away and I can't remember off hand if they were registered on the webpage or not, but their emails didn't come back, just this one particular brother.

I did send an email to MSR as suggested in an earlier post and have not heard anything back from them yet.

Margie
Returned emails will only happen on email accounts that have been closed, their mailbox is full or some other technical problem with the email account has occurred. Some excommunicated members will request their registrations be removed or will simply close their email account.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:Returned emails will only happen on email accounts that have been closed, their mailbox is full or some other technical problem with the email account has occurred. Some excommunicated members will request their registrations be removed or will simply close their email account.
When my father passed away, I closed his email account, and his emails never came back to me through the webpage.

Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sure it also depends on the ISP. Some view the Church emails with suspicion since the "source" doesn't match the email address. They my refuse to bounce in that situation since bounces are sometimes used to spam people.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:The current process is for unit admins to disable registrations for returned emails that match a currently displayed member in the "Registered Users" admin page.
Are you saying that the recommended procedure is for the admin to disable the login when e-mails bounce? I know that some admins do this, but it brings up a lot of other issues that I have chosen not to deal with, so I don't.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”