Meetinghouse Internet FAQ's

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

As it has been mentioned above by others, getting from the firewall to the computers is a local decision. There are many options and local factors that make some methods a good choice and others not. This is why we have not specified any "standard" method. This is also why a capable STS is required for this program. We simply require that appropriate security be employed, such as WPA or WPA2 with wireless. Thank you all for the great work you are helping to move forward!
Aaroneous-p40

Ordering the firewall?

Post by Aaroneous-p40 »

Can somebody point me in the right direction for ordering the firewall? Also, I understand that the church pays for the firewall, but just wanted to clarify - will they pay for a set number of the devices? In other words...will the church pay for one device per building? One per stake?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Aaroneous wrote:Can somebody point me in the right direction for ordering the firewall? Also, I understand that the church pays for the firewall, but just wanted to clarify - will they pay for a set number of the devices? In other words...will the church pay for one device per building? One per stake?
The Church will pay for one device per building. Your best resource for information is at clerk.lds.org.

You can get to the order page from the home page of clerk.lds.org by clicking on the first link (Meetinghouse Internet Now Available for Selected Areas). Near the bottom of that page is a section titled "Ordering." The link to the order page is in the first sentence of that section.

Note that the firewall must be ordered online -- so your stake must have a unit login/password for ldscatalog.com, and your stake must be in one of the selected areas that are authorized to order the firewall at this point.
rhusted-p40

No Access To General Conference

Post by rhusted-p40 »

The Madison Wisconsin Stake has setup wireless connectivity in our stake center and we've setup the church firewall with the LDS-sites-only configuration. We'd like for members to be able to meet here for General Conference and hear the broadcast in their own tongue (Hmong, Spanish, etc.) if possible. However, the General Conference stream requires the "Move plugin" and that site is blocked by the firewall. HELP!! Can the church add the "movenetworks.com", "xlontech.net", and "macromedia.com" domains to the list of allowed domains for both firewall configurations? We keep getting a "Permission denied" message when we try to access the URL to get the media player "http://lds.org/move/index.html?type=con ... ng=english". So we're not able to offer this service to our members.
Thank you in advance for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rhusted wrote:The Madison Wisconsin Stake has setup wireless connectivity in our stake center and we've setup the church firewall with the LDS-sites-only configuration. We'd like for members to be able to meet here for General Conference and hear the broadcast in their own tongue (Hmong, Spanish, etc.) if possible. However, the General Conference stream requires the "Move plugin" and that site is blocked by the firewall. HELP!! Can the church add the "http://lds.org/move/index.html?type=con ... ng=english" site to the list of allowed sites for both firewall configurations? (I'm not sure why it's blocked - I had thought that the basic firewall configuration included *all* lds.org sites. We keep getting a "Permission denied" message when we try to access that site to get the media player. So we're not able to offer this service to our members.
Thank you in advance for your help.

The page you mentioned is not being blocked itself. I really doubt that any lds.org sites are blocked. What is happening is that the page you mentioned contains content from player.movenetworks.com, which is also the site the Move player is actually downloaded from. I'm pretty confident that this is the content that is being blocked. So your request should be for that site.

I would also note that while there is some chance that someone from the right department will see your post, this is not a reliable way to request a change in the filtering. Rather, as you can see from this post, the correct way is "to send an email to: suggest@websense.com and request a site be categorized."

Finally, one suggestion that may help in the meantime: the media player installer that is downloaded is specific to a browser (and perhaps an OS), so you have to be careful about what I am about to suggest. But you might be able to use your home computer to start to install the player (making sure you are using the same browser as your target machines) and then save (rather than run) the installer. If you put this installer on a flash drive, you might be able to go to the target machines and install the player. Once the player is installed, it should only be downloading content from lds.org, so you should not get blocked. I haven't tried this, but it just might work.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

rhusted wrote:We'd like for members to be able to meet here for General Conference and hear the broadcast in their own tongue (Hmong, Spanish, etc.) if possible. However, the General Conference stream requires the "Move plugin" and that site is blocked by the firewall.
Just a thought: Have you considered getting the locally needed languages added to your satellite receiver? The FM group can do this for you. Most church satellite receivers have support for up to 4 languages at once. The newest receivers may only support 2 languages at once (of course it is possible to install 2 receivers in the rack and get more languages). In our building, channel 3 is English, Ch 4, Spanish, Ch 5 Mandrin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rknelson wrote:Just a thought: Have you considered getting the locally needed languages added to your satellite receiver? The FM group can do this for you.
Setting up the receiver itself is easy. However, for the signal to get anywhere, one needs to add modulators and possibly video distribution amps. This costs money and so it's something the stake president would have to work out with the FM group.

Also, it's my understanding that languages come in "pairs" and it's not possible to independently select a language for each channel.

The most challenging "language" is ASL (American Sign Language) because it's not just a separate audio feed but a completely separate video feed. That requires a second receiver. Not cheap.

One nice thing about Internet access is it does allow for filling niche needs where it may not be practical from a cost standpoint. (Too few members or for too limited a time.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”