Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
benhabing-p40

Auxillary Calendars

Post by benhabing-p40 »

One thing we've been toying with in our Ward is setting up calendars for Cubs, Activity Days, YM/YW, etc... in the Resources section. Being in a multiward building and having one day a week for the majority of activities makes that day rather busy on the Ward Calendar.

Are there any plans, or much demand, to have auxillary calendars in the next release?

Thanks! Very cool to see the church using technology in this way.

Ben
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

benhabing wrote:One thing we've been toying with in our Ward is setting up calendars for Cubs, Activity Days, YM/YW, etc... in the Resources section.
Personally I wouldn't recommend it as it creates too many calendars for the members to check. Not to mention making it too easy to have a conflict because two events are not on the same calendar.

What I'd like to see is something like Calendar Creator does with "layers" and the user can select the "layers" in their preferences just like they select what kinds of emails they get. My one addition to that is to require all layers to be visible when someone tries to add something to the calendar.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Personally I wouldn't recommend it as it creates too many calendars for the members to check. Not to mention making it too easy to have a conflict because two events are not on the same calendar.

What I'd like to see is something like Calendar Creator does with "layers" and the user can select the "layers" in their preferences just like they select what kinds of emails they get. My one addition to that is to require all layers to be visible when someone tries to add something to the calendar.
This is also how Google Calendars does it. You can subscribe to multiple calendars and layer them over top one another.

Tom
dobrichelovek

Google Calendars

Post by dobrichelovek »

tomw wrote:This is also how Google Calendars does it. You can subscribe to multiple calendars and layer them over top one another.

Tom

So, would the IT department consider doing something like licensing the Google calendar technology or using an open-source equivalent so that it might be easier/faster to get the next revision of the unit web sites going? It sounds like there's:

1)Customer demand
2)Design recommendations
3)Developed technology components

All we need now is resource commitment, or am I missing something? :o Patience maybe?;)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

dobrichelovek wrote:So, would the IT department consider doing something like licensing the Google calendar technology or using an open-source equivalent so that it might be easier/faster to get the next revision of the unit web sites going? It sounds like there's:

1)Customer demand
2)Design recommendations
3)Developed technology components

All we need now is resource commitment, or am I missing something? :o Patience maybe?;)
Patience is what you are missing ;)

Seriously it won't be a licensing issue that will take the time. Actually this technology is not hard to do. It just takes time to fund projects, build teams, consolidate and get approval for features lists, etc.

Tom
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

scion wrote:It would also be helpful to remove only one of those repeating events for times when the usual day is moved for some reason.
Yeah, I have to second this one. There are several times that for whatever reason we move the fast Sunday either to the 2nd Sunday of the month, or to the last Sunday of the previous month. I can't remember any specific examples of why the date was moved, but I remember several times that it has happened in a couple of different wards that I have been in.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JasonG wrote:I can't remember any specific examples of why the date was moved,
General Conference will do it. Same with stake, ward or regional conference depending one what Sunday they fall on.
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:General Conference will do it. Same with stake, ward or regional conference depending one what Sunday they fall on.
That's what I was thinking initially, but thinking back to both of our most recent happenings of those events, I couldn't remember moving the date for the fast, but finishing my thoughts off there, I remembered that neither of those events actually fell on a Fast Sunday this time so there woudln't have been a need to move it anyway...

I think this brain's getting a little old and outdated, I seriously need to upgrade my memory.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by FullmerCB »

By way of intro: My name is Chad - I'm an employee for the Church and I am working on gathering the requirements/requests for a new version of the current local unit websites. There are many excellent ideas on this & other threads in the forum. TomW (admin of this forum) has passed a compilation of these great ideas on to me & I'll continue to check back often to glean those that continue to come in. Please keep them coming - they will all be considered as possible features for the new Portal version of the Local Unit Websites. Thank you for your efforts in helping us to hasten the work of the Lord.
scion-p40

separate contact info

Post by scion-p40 »

I'd like to be able to post separate email addresses for some family members. In addition to a home phone option, cell phone options for family members would be helpful. This would be particularly helpful for households with multiple adults. Not everyone has a home phone anymore, but many American households have multiple cell phones.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”