beta calendar transition

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ihenpecked

beta calendar transition

Post by ihenpecked »

Curious to know how you are preparing during transition to real calendar in 2011. How are people educating stake and local leaders? Are you pretending to populate events for now to populate it?
I assume we should people prepared to start entering real events in October or November when we start prepping for next year. Anybody disagree?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

ihenpecked wrote:Curious to know how you are preparing during transition to real calendar in 2011. How are people educating stake and local leaders? Are you pretending to populate events for now to populate it?
I assume we should people prepared to start entering real events in October or November when we start prepping for next year. Anybody disagree?
I would agree that the earlier we begin training people in the use of the calendar the better. I wouldn't wait until the end of the year to begin entering events. My plan is to enter events throughout the year gaining experience as we go. Hopefully, when the time comes to put it to the test, we'll be ready.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

I think you're wise to start entering events earlier. Is anything being done to educate leaders in your stake.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For our stake I have already created multiple calendars with events from the current LUWS calendar and have asked through a broadcast e-mail message and instruction at stake council that everyone begin using the beta calendar in preparation for the transition on 1 January 2011. The going is tough right now because I have been the only one to create any calendars. I am trying to get all auxiliaries to create their own calendars and to manage them rather than relying on me to do so.

In regards to unit calendars I have no idea what is happening in other than my own ward. Nothing has happened there. I am assuming that is the same for the other wards/branches. Without access to any other than my own ward I cannot tell what, if anything, is happening and I cannot see where there may be problems. I am afraid there is going to be a last minute rush, or even worse, a lot of frustrated calls and e-mails after 1 January asking me what is going on. It would be better if I could view the unit beta calendars much the same as I now can on the current LUWS calendar to provide assistance. I am hoping that limitation is only because the calendars are in beta and that once it is in full release that the stake admins will have full access by default until removed by unit admins - much the same way it is now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
PhillipsCJ

Will events carry over from beta?

Post by PhillipsCJ »

Has there been any statement made on whether the data we put into the current calendar will carry over when the product comes out of beta?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mactoph wrote:Has there been any statement made on whether the data we put into the current calendar will carry over when the product comes out of beta?
All events in the current calendar will NOT transition over.
I've already inquired regarding that and the response I received from the brethren is that we need to begin entering events from scratch.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the question was, will the information entered into the current (beta version), remain in the calender when it comes out of beta. In other words, is it worth the effort to enter the data now, or will it be wiped out?

That's what happened for the nFS beta, so it's not unheard of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In this case it is very likely that the beta calendar data will migrate to the full release on 1 January. There is not going to be a transition period other than the beta period to allow units to populate the calendar in time for the full release over night. Most units begin planning the following year in late August and begin entering data then. There would be too much work and time needed to have the calendar populated and useable on the same day it is needed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
joel

Yes

Post by joel »

Yes, data entered into the calendar Beta will stay there when the new calendar moves to production.
atticusewig

LUWS calendar carryover ?

Post by atticusewig »

Has anyone heard if any of the data from the
current LUWS calendar (not the beta) will transition
over to the new calendar, when it comes out of beta ?

Most stakes prepare their calendar at the end of the
year, so if the old LUWS calendar's data won't move,
a message should be sent out midyear so stakes will
use the beta calendar instead of the LUWS one.
Otherwise, there would be a significant duplication
of work when the beta goes public (or the admin
will be so mad, he won't use the new calendar).

- Atticus

Return to “Calendar”