Tithing Debit Card Machine

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Having MLS track your current address and donations would be great. So far I haven't had to declare charitable donations yet, but this coming tax year might be different. (Being a student doesn't earn much)
- David
seanmcox-p40

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:The bottom line is while the current system is a hassle for members who move, it is true to the KISS principle.
Whatever it is, its not KISS. KISS isn't about simply making fewer features, its about not adding features that make a system more of a pain to deal with. It's about one aspect of that balancing act which is good design.

I always want my complete donation record. I've never had a discrepancy to report, but I always have to refer back to my old ward for my church donation records. Giving members who move their full record from one location only makes life complicated for the guy who has to add the feature. (It's probably not too complicated for him either, though I imagine there might be administrative barriers.) The statement could also be presented so that each ward's donations are clearly indicated. (Personally I would think it would make sense to print up the donations through each unit on separate pages, so I would then get a report composed of a report for my current ward and a report for the ward where I attended before getting my current job and moving.) It would be pretty KISS all around the table. In the rare event that there are problems, I could deal with them through the proper ward/branch.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not KISS for the member, but it's KISS from the organizational/operational view. Again, much of the issues have to be addressed by a tax lawyer and so far none has appeared in this conversation.

I'm sure everyone would like to see some feature implemented. As a former clerk, I didn't like that pile of statement that I couldn't deliver either. But the forum members don't set the development priorities nor can we work out the details that require professional legal opinions. I"ll do what I can to make sure the idea is on the requested features list somewhere, but we can't promise anything more then that.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm sure everyone would like to see some feature implemented. As a former clerk, I didn't like that pile of statement that I couldn't deliver either. But the forum members don't set the development priorities nor can we work out the details that require professional legal opinions. I"ll do what I can to make sure the idea is on the requested features list somewhere, but we can't promise anything more then that.

Exactly, I just put the feature out for those in the church to see another way of doing it and in addition for the community to build the idea up. But you are correct we cannot set priorities nor do we actually determine what the church does.

Note for all:
Remember that the forums focus around the technology and ideas of using technology in the church.
- David
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

Getting back to the original topic, I can think of one situation where EFT won't work, and that is where the person has a variable income, because for example, they are self employed. In that case, an ATM machine would be nice!

Aaron
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cannona wrote:Getting back to the original topic, I can think of one situation where EFT won't work, and that is where the person has a variable income, because for example, they are self employed.
I know when I filled out paper work with my employer, I could opt to do things with either a fixed amount or a percentage of my income.

But EFT doesn't have to be mean "automatic". I believe electronic bill pay would also work though EFT.
StevenLeuck-p40

Online check

Post by StevenLeuck-p40 »

Saw this thread and found it interesting. when I was ward and then stake finance clerk I thought EFT would be a good idea too. Until it's made easier, what i've started doing this year is to use my bank's (Wells Fargo) Bill Pay feature and write a check from there. No fee and THEY mail the check. I set it up this way:

Payee: Eugene 245th Ward
C/O Bishop Smith
123 His Address
City, State Zip

Memo: T=$100, FO=$10, BofM=$5 (etc)

I set it up as a weekly reocurring payment on my paydays. Could be set up for monthly or whatever. I was worried my Bishop wouldn't like it but he think's it's great. when he sees the envelopes addressed that way he doesn't open them at home,... brings them to church and just turns them in that way to the clerks. Works for him, works for me and NO FEES! ';-)

Just my 2-bits. hope it's helpful.

Steven Leuck
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

StevenLeuck wrote:Saw this thread and found it interesting. when I was ward and then stake finance clerk I thought EFT would be a good idea too. Until it's made easier, what i've started doing this year is to use my bank's (Wells Fargo) Bill Pay feature and write a check from there. No fee and THEY mail the check. I set it up this way:

Payee: Eugene 245th Ward
C/O Bishop Smith
123 His Address
City, State Zip

Memo: T=$100, FO=$10, BofM=$5 (etc)
I've run into problems where members have used this method and forgot to include the "memo" part describing which categories the donation is to go. Because there is no donation slip, it creates a small problem. If we can't reach them by telephone, we follow the guidelines and put it all in tithing, knowing we may have to correct the batch later.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

And I use a bank with an online bill pay service that does not allow me to complete a memo line at all, which is one of the reasons I still write one check a month.
marianomarini

There are a lot of possibilities

Post by marianomarini »

When my son was serving a mission, I payed my offers through banking account directly to main office in Milano (I know Italy is a very strange country). There was no problems at all. My Branch President was informed of my payment through trimestral tithing settlement.
At that time I thought that it would be a good thing if in the bills there was one more checkbox for Bank payment. Presently there are only two: Cash or Check.
I could enclose Bank payment receipt, give it to me by my bank; this way I could notify monthly my offers to my leader, and he can take record of it, without introducing problems with total amount of deposit and donor sheets!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “General Discussions”