LDS Tools version 2.0 for iOS was recently released. Features in this release include reports and additional membership information for priesthood leaders, directory photo uploads for heads of household and ward or branch administrators, and other improvements. Each feature is described below.
Membership data and reports for priesthood leaders
If you are serving in a stake presidency, district presidency, bishopric, or branch presidency, or if you are an executive secretary or clerk, you can now view reports and membership data for your units.
When you log in you will be prompted to set up a passcode. This new passcode requirement helps prevent unauthorized access to membership data. After a 60-minute timeout period for each session, you will be prompted to re-enter your passcode.
Once signed in, you will see a new button at the bottom of the app called Reports. Two reports are now available: the Action and Interview List and the Birthday List. Both are shown below.
Action and Interview list (iPad view)
Birthday list report (iPad view)
In future releases, additional reports will be available, including Members with Callings, Members without Callings, Members Moved In, Temple Recommend Status, and Unit Statistics.
As a priesthood leader, you can also see the membership record number and birth date for a member of your unit. Additionally, stake presidents, district presidents, bishops, branch presidents, clerks, and membership clerks can also see ordinances recorded for a member.
Note that access to ordinance information supports direction from Handbook 1: “Official Church membership records should not be shown or given to members. Nor may they be copied for members. Under no circumstances may membership records be given to anyone other than the bishop or a clerk" (section 13.6).
Directory photo uploads
In previous releases, any photos you added to your directory in LDS Tools remained on your device. In version 2.0, photos for your household added by a head of household or photos added for a household by a ward or branch administrator now automatically sync to your directory profile on LDS.org as well.
Uploading photos to your directory profile (iPhone view)
To update your photo:
- Start LDS Tools and click the Directory button.
- Browse to your household.
- Click your photo.
- Click the camera button in the upper-left of your photo.
- Select one of the following options: Use Camera, Photo Library, Saved Photos.
- If you took a picture with your camera, click Use.
- When prompted to upload the image to the online directory, click Yes.
In Settings, you can select that photos be automatically uploaded to the online directory. To set automatic uploading, click the Settings button in the upper-right corner. Scroll down to Changing Photos Online and move the slider to Yes.
Other updates to LDS Tools include the following:
- Settings button location. The Settings button has been moved to the upper right corner of the screen.
- Minor enhancements to the user interface. The menu structure and navigation is cleaner, with an improved flow.
- Calendar updates. When you access the calendar, updates appear automatically, without requiring you to trigger the update.
- Security options. You can add a security passcode (through Settings). Priesthood leaders are required to create a security passcode. For more details, see the first section above, “Membership data and reports for priesthood leaders.”
- Frequently asked questions. Answers to frequently asked questions have been added. To view them, go to Settings > Support. The following screenshot shows this new support view.
Support content added (iPhone view)
Other platforms and languages
Similar updates for LDS Tools for Android are underway. Additionally, Portuguese and Spanish language versions of LDS Tools are planned for a future release.
The LDS Tools team needs help developing and testing LDS Tools. If you would like to get involved in the LDS Tools project, click Projects on the top menu of LDSTech, click the Projects submenu, and then browse to the LDS Tools iOS or LDS Tools Android project and join it.