The BlackBerry team is close to publicly releasing LDS Tools 1.0.1 for BlackBerry, which would be the first public release with calendar features. Before the release, though, the BlackBerry team needs help with testing.
Testing an application such as LDS Tools, which includes directory and calendar information for your ward and stake, is particularly challenging given the diversity of locations, callings, and stakes across the world. Add to this the variety of BlackBerry devices, platforms, and carriers, and it’s almost impossible to test this app without leveraging the help of a worldwide community.
You can download the 1.0.1 test version from http://bit.ly/bb-ldsb. Report bugs and feedback directly to Hal Rushton, BlackBerry project manager, at
This 1.0.1 release includes bug fixes, improvements, and new features. As you test LDS Tools, please pay particular attention to each of these areas.
The following bugs have been fixed. As you test this version, run through each of these issues to see if the bugs are resolved on your device.
Note: The link in brackets refers to the item in JIRA. If you’re a member of the LDS Tools for BlackBerry project, you have access to JIRA and can read more about the bug or feature through this link. You can add comments on these JIRA items directly if you desire.
- [MMB-8] - On slider BB devices, the onscreen keyboard is somewhat unpredictable and causes a crash.
- [MMB-9] - In the calendar tab, change the menu item "Sync Calender" to "Sync Calendar".
- [MMB-10] - When selecting which calendars to display, the check boxes do not clear on the first press of the action button.
- [MMB-11] – The date displayed at the top of the calendar appears to be stuck on whatever the installation date was for the app rather than displaying the current day's date.
- [MMB-12] - When using the trackpad to scroll across the different tabs, the focus is Directory > Callings > Calendar > first item in the displayed list. (It should go to Settings.)
- [MMB-13] – The Calendar tab is not tappable. On touchscreen devices, user cannot tap on this tab to select it.
- [MMB-14] – The Calendar tab icon behaves differently from the other icons.
- [MMB-16] – The Ending Date needs to be included in multi-day events, such as temple closing.
The following are two improvements. As you test this version, explore these improvements to verify that they’re working correctly on your device.
- [MMB-3] - Increase the size of the touch regions on the top items (directory, callings, settings).
- [MMB-4] - Need a red error message when sync doesn't work.
The following is a new feature in this version. Test this feature to verify that it is working correctly on your device.
- [MMB-15] - In the details view of a calendar event, include the source calendar as one of the pieces of data.
You don’t need to be a member of the BlackBerry team to test LDS Tools 1.0.1. However, if you would like to get more involved in the BlackBerry project, the team welcomes new members. When you join the project, you receive access to JIRA and other resources. You can join the BlackBerry project by doing the following:
- Click Projects on the top navigation menu of LDSTech.
- Sign in with your LDS Account.
- If prompted, sign the Individual Contributor’s license.
- Click the Projects subtab.
- Click the LDS Tools for BlackBerry project link.
- Click Join.